So what can local officials and policymakers do to ensure that their communities become smart cities and benefit fully from the promise of next generation mobile activity?
- Be proactive.
- Modernize local rules and create a regulatory and legal environment that incents the deployment of new 5G network infrastructure and small cells.
- Streamline the permitting process and provide timely and cost-efficient access to rights of way, public facilities and utility poles.
- Familiarize yourself with smart city terminology, technology, and opportunities.
Additional Resources to Take Action
- Cisco: Digital Cities: Building the New Public Infrastructure
- NTIA Broadband USA: Using Partnerships to Power a Smart City: A Toolkit for Local Communities
- American Consumer Institute Lost Economy State-by-State
- Latest CTIA-Accenture Report on FCC Streamlining Jumpstarting 5G Investment
- Smart City Tech to Drive Over 5% Incremental GDP, Trillions in Economic Growth Over the Next Decade Reports ABI Research